The City of Leander, originally called Bagdad, was established on July 17, 1882. Today, Leander's population is estimated at more than 52,000. The Leander Independent School District has grown into the largest school district in Williamson County and the fastest growing district in the state of Texas. It presently has a total of five high schools, eight middle schools and twenty-three elementary schools. It encompasses the cities of Leander, Cedar Park, Jonestown, and parts of Northwest Austin. New businesses are on their way and the residential growth that has been experienced over the past few years is phenomenal. The long-term water supply is now secure for the city’s residents and a newly expanded wastewater treatment plant is on-line. The city continues to expand its roadway network to assist the residents of Leander in traveling into the Austin area.